Service Mesh Kickstarter with Istio
21 May 2021 | QCon Plus, Virtual
Service Meshes are fast becoming ubiquitous in cloud-native infrastructure, and even beyond. To the platform engineer, they provide a more advanced and configurable network, with built-in security. To the software engineer, they offer features for service discovery, resiliency, and observability. But Service Meshes can be daunting; difficult to understand and hard to use.
This practical workshop will kick-start your Service Mesh journey. We’ll get hands-on with Istio, the ubiquitous Service Mesh, and by far the most powerful and flexible. You’ll learn how to install it into Kubernetes, then we’ll use some microservices to explore its features, like timeouts and retires. We’ll also look at the powerful observability features, automatic service-to-service mutual TLS, and more!
In between the exercises I’ll present some theory about how Service Meshes work, so you have the full picture of what’s going on under the hood. Armed with this knowledge and your practical experience from the day, you’ll be well-equipped to continue your Service Mesh journey.
- Knowledge and experience that will let you decide whether a Service Mesh, and Istio in particular, is right for your environment
- Confidence deploying Istio
- Hands-on experience with Istio’s key features, which you can explore further and demo to others
- An understanding of how a Service Mesh works with your Microservices, and how to configure both to compliment each other
- Overall: 100% green (n == 11)
- Speaker knowledge: 100% green (n == 11)
- Speaker presentation skills: 100% green (n == 11)